After three weeks of deliciously ella recipies and two weeks of sweet treats, I felt it was time for a change! I fancied chilli for dinner, and as I had made beef chilli a few times in the past, I thought I would try and create my own vegan version. Here it is:
- 400g (1 can) chopped tomatoes
- 1 medium sized sweet potato
- 400g (1 can) kidney beans
- 400g (1 can) butter beans
- tomato puree
- 100g fresh spinach (optional)
- 1 onion
- 4 garlic gloves
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 2 tbsp chilli powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat some olive oil up in a large pan
- Chop up the sweet potato and par boil for 5 minutes
- Chop the onion up and add it to the pan, cooking it over a medium heat
- Chop up the garlic and after 4 minutes, add it to the pan along with the cumin and chilli powder, making sure to stir well
- Once the ingredients in the pan are well combined, add the tinned tomatoes, sweet potato, kidney beans and butter beans.
- Add tomato puree to thicken the chilli to the thickness you want
- Bring the chilli to the boil then let it simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Once the potatoes and beans are soft, add the spinach and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Season to taste and then serve
I ate my chilli with some leftover brown rice, but it could work equally well with pasta, potatoes or by itself.
This was the first time I’d attempted a recipe like this, and it came out pretty well. I couldn’t really follow a particular recipe on line as I was heavily restricted by what happened to be in my kitchen; I had no black beans which are the usual staple ingredient of chilli. However, despite my limitations, I was really pleased with how it turned out and I really enjoyed the taste. Definitely one to repeat and perfect!
Difficulty to make: 3/10
Would I make it again: YES